Re: Get the applications notified when session is closing

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 23:34 +0100, Laurent Bigonville wrote:

> In MacOS X when the user closes his session all the applications are
> notified and if some of them still have unsaved documents, they ask him
> what to do. If he doesn't answer (there is a timeout) or if he hit
> cancel button in the save dialog, the closing of the session is
> canceled.
>
> It should be nice if something similar were implemented in Gnome using
> DBus or something like that.

We actually have a session manager. It uses an X protocol to communicate
from memory. Look at the GnomeClient API in libgnomeui

> For example, you start typing an email and then you search something on
> Internet or you switch to another virtual desktop and forget the email.
> Then you close the session, the email is lost. If Gnome asked to save
> before closing the session you could at least save it.

I don't know why it isn't used. Perhaps someone else can shine some
light on the reason.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA