Re: Clearlooks and GNOME 2.12

On 7/21/05, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
> On 7/21/05, Shaun McCance <shaunm gmail com> wrote:
>
> > 6) I sent off my default theme declaration about a week ago.
> > Whatever the technical solution is, I need it to happen now.
> > We hit UI freeze in less than a week.
>
> Hmm...hard to get people to move on this issue.  Let's see...
>
> I was a little surprised by your default theme declaration, as for
> some reason I had thought Seth had already made it.  Anyway, no one
> objected.  No one.  And nor does anyone use the old default theme.  So
> I consider clearlooks to be the default theme, regardless of whether
> the technical solution is in place.  If anyone tries to claim that the
> old default theme should remain, I will claim they are in violation of
> UI freeze after Monday.  And if it turns out my position is wrong and
> people disagree with me, I will be vote 1 of 2 up to any time before
> Gnome 2.12 including during hard code freeze to make the theme change
> to clearlooks.  And I will encourage Shaun to start screenshooting
> with Clearlooks whenever he wants--whether a technical solution is in
> place or not.  And if a technical solution is not in place, I will
> pressure people to make the technical solution match Shaun instead of
> the other way around, as it's already past unreasonable for him.  The
> issue was decided, and decided, and decided.  Let's kill this stupid
> issue.
>
> Object if you like.  But do it _now_.

What, you don't like people objecting ages after the discussion has
started, and days after it has concluded? I'm shocked, shocked! :)

Anyway, more seriously, Shaun, Elijah, since you seem to both be
owning the issue- I can help you chase down people, but I'd recommend
that you two or someone else you persuade:

* figure out exactly what technical things need to be done here
* filie a bug on each of them
* mark them all 2.12 showstoppers (which I will start screaming about shortly)

and doing that ASAP. I tend to agree that doc shooting with the new
theme should occur regardless of whether or not all those bugs are
totally finished, but in the meantime, we can't let that get in the
way of getting the technical stuff, you know, done. Wishing doesn't
make it so and all that ;)

Luis