Re: Clearlooks and GNOME 2.12

On 19 Jul 2005, at 10:26 pm, Danilo Šegan wrote:

Today at 22:42, Richard Stellingwerff wrote:

Personally, I'd really prefer to keep distributing standalone
packages, since it allows me to do more frequent releases.

Nobody would object if gtk-engines got more frequent releases. :)

In fact, I'm planning a release soon, since I've just closed quite a number of outstanding bugs.

Incidentally, this will be the 5th gtk-engines release in 7 months, compared to no releases in the 2 years previously.

I.e. this should not impact a decision, since if clearlooks is
included and maintained inside gtk-engines, you could ask for releases
as often as you wish, or even more likely, do them yourself.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about someone else doing the work :)

Not at all, I would be more than happy for you to maintain clearlooks in gtk-engines.

If there have been any updates since the last time gtk-engines was updated with your development version of clearlooks, let me know and we can go about updating it before the next release.

I'm not terribly aware of the release schedules and procedures of
GNOME. As I understand, a few weeks before the new release there will
be a feature freeze. How would this apply to Clearlooks?

You'd switch to bug fixing mode for around two months.  New
development might happen on another branch (HEAD), while this one is
stabilised.  Though, I'm not sure if gtk-engines follows Gnome or Gtk+
schedule (they're different).

We're sort of following the Gtk+ schedule in that we're currently using our major/minor version number to indicate which version of Gtk+ we require (i.e. 2.6 at the moment). However, we're releasing a micro version every time there have been a number of bugs fixed, rather than sticking to any timed schedule.

-Thomas