Re: eggcups (and libgnomecups) for 2.12

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 12:33 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le mercredi 13 juillet 2005 à 19:56 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
>
> > Opinions?
>
> Hi,
>
> It seems pretty minimalistic, there is no UI to configure a
> non-detectable printer by example (lp, smb, ...).

That's true, but my feeling on this is we should ignore lp since it's
long obsolete and do the hard work to make smb work (since it is
detectable, it's just hard).

> Wouldn't
> gnome-cups-manager be better for users?

eggcups does two things:

1) Notification of job status
2) Prompting for a printer driver when it's plugged in

Personally I wish 2) had been a separate program so we could debate it
separately.  What I think a lot of GNOME users will really care about is
1).  Think of all the GNOME deployments in a managed environment where
the print drivers are already set up.

Now, gnome-cups-manager *does* have a tray icon and that tray icon can
tell you job status.  But I explained how it's different from eggcups'
and why the eggcups interface is better here:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-July/msg00128.html

Longer term I think it makes sense to merge the driver-prompting
infrastructure in eggcups with gnome-cups-manager's gnome-cups-add etc.
If distributors want to ship gnome-cups-add, I could easily add a
configure option to eggcups to disable the driver prompting.

In summary, please only consider the job notification aspect of eggcups
for GNOME 2.12.