Re: Gnome Session Services Framework

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 23:50 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 14:33 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 14:14 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> > > Hey, guys- if I wanted to test this:
> > > (1) what would I need to do to set it up, exactly? (presume that I
> > > have all of GNOME running from source, and can patch as needed.)
> >
> > You just need to patch gnome-session with Rodrigo's latest patch
> > (turning it on with whatever the compile switch is - Rodrigo?)
> >
> --enable-services
>
> Also, it would be great if you could test --disable-services to come
> back to the old gnome-session, and see if the patch breaks anything.
>
> >  and
> > compile libgnomeservice from CVS.
> >
> and apply the patches (*.patch) that are in libgnomeservice CVS. That
> will make some services (nautilus, gnome-volume-manager, metacity,
> panel) use the new infrastructure.

I'm not so concerned about this stuff right this second.  We are pushing
the drop in service file wrapper stuff for 2.12 so that is where I would
spend my testing energies.

The service framework itself will need massive hammering on before I
feel we can even propose it but that is the next stage of our dastardly
plan.

If we can get things running where session runs fine with the new code
and service startup using the wrapper runs great then at that point we
can start messing with framework itself, replacing things service by
service until we have everything running under the framework.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>