Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 19:19 -0200, Johan Dahlin wrote:
> Stick to #!/usr/bin/env python and in the very unlikely even that your
> application break in (current_version+2, if you don't get any warnings,
> it's guaranteed in current_version+1), fix the program, in the extremely
> unlikely case that it's a non-backwards compatible change, check the
> version in runtime.
>
> If you're application gets popular, you'll most likely have people
> testing it regulary with development versions of python and you'll even
> find potential problems before new versions are released.

This surprises me. I hoped that we had a consensus on using specific versions
of python:
http://www.daa.com.au/pipermail/pygtk/2004-September/008709.html

If Python will never again make incompatible changes then do ignore all of
this, but I don't think that is true, or desirable.

I don't think it's acceptable for a (future) major part of the GNOME
Platform to be this ABI unstable. Luckily, I hope the #! technique means it
doesn't have to be.

I don't think it's acceptable for a GNOME application to stop working just
because someone installed a new version of python that was needed by some
other application. I don't think the user should have to experience that
broken application and then go looking for a newer version of the GNOME
application that has been adapted to the new version of python.

I don't think it's acceptable that the a package management
system would refuse to install some other application just because GNOME
needs an older version of Python.

What are the problems with using a specific version of python?

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com