Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:24:28 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I definitely agree that the player should be more like
> rhythmbox/muine/goobox than the car stereo thing.

Yes.

> (One approach would be that the CD shows up as a playlist/source in a
> general player like rhythmbox/muine, I don't know if that would turn out
> well or not.)

I think this is the right approach.

And I disagree that unifying playing/ripping is the wrong idea when
thinking about the use case. In either case the user experience starts
with "insert CD", and I don't think we've succeeded if the user has to
instruct the computer whether "insert CD" should map to "launch
application so I can rip" vs. "launch application so I can listen".

If any new sound data, (whether from clicking a URL or inserting a CD
or what have you), is presented as a new "playlist", then operations
such as "play the sound" or "categorize into my library" can each be
made available with a single user operation[*]. This can be smooth
enough that the user doesn't even have to think about "ripping".

-Carl

[*] Of course, this implies removing any series of "configure the
music database" dialogs like I saw the first time I ran rhythmbox.