Re: Objections [Was: GNOME System Monitor will use libgnomesu]

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:23:34 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> To me, your argument roughly translates as "Distro A has different
> customizations than Distro B.  Gnome programs should give warning
> dialogs that confuse most users because it allows sysadmin-types to
> have a slightly easier time undoing those customizations".  While
> assisting sysadmins is a good goal, I think that this isn't the
> appropriate way to do so.  I feel that the help documentation or
> release notes would be much better.

Like I said I was arguing the general case rather than specifically for
procman. 3rd party applications should always delay-link to optional
dependencies, this just makes things so much easier for users. GNOME is
usually shipped with distributions and is expected to be bundled up as a
cohesive whole so it's less useful there.

But I didn't want Jeffs comment to be taken as "apps should prefer compile
time options to runtime checks", because I think that's harmful to
usability.

thanks -mike