Re: Objections [Was: GNOME System Monitor will use libgnomesu]

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:35:35 +0000, Mike Hearn <mike navi cx> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:24:47 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Sorry:
> >
> >   "You cannot do this because you don't have something you don't understand,
> >   nor do you understand how to fix it because we can't describe a useful way
> >   to fix it that will work on every distribution we support. Um, thanks."
> >
> > - Jeff
>
> This is bad, but nonetheless better than "The computer on my left running
> Foobar Distro has this useful feature, but the computer on my right just
> has a blank space where that option is - why? And how do I get it on
> both?".

To me, your argument roughly translates as "Distro A has different
customizations than Distro B.  Gnome programs should give warning
dialogs that confuse most users because it allows sysadmin-types to
have a slightly easier time undoing those customizations".  While
assisting sysadmins is a good goal, I think that this isn't the
appropriate way to do so.  I feel that the help documentation or
release notes would be much better.

Cheers,
Elijah