Re: Objections [Was: GNOME System Monitor will use libgnomesu]

Jeff Waugh wrote:
Unfortunately, it *doesn't* fill the gap. The sudo support has just been
removed

For technical reasons. As I've pointed out in earlier emails, the only way to communicate with sudo correctly (without changes to sudo) is by using a "helper application": you run
sudo /usr/libexec/helper-app your_command
If the login succeeded, then helper-app will print SUCCESS (so the parent will know that it succeeded), and then run your_command. If it fails, sudo exits. The parent notices that there is no SUCCESS, so it will know the login failed. This is the same approach used by gnome-sudo (I think that's what the program was called).

However, this has one huge disadvantage: /etc/sudoers is effectively useless! Every single command has to be run via helper-app. You cannot control what app the user is allowed to run. This turns sudo into a su that asks for your password instead of the root password. Is that what you want?

If you know a better way to communicate with sudo, please tell me.

libgnomesu is not being used by any other module,
and there are stated objections to it.

I've already answered most of the objections, but I still haven't received a reply for many of my answers...

So, my personal feeling is that adding libgnomesu to the Desktop release is
inappropriate at this stage (for design reasons, but also because there's
only one module using it at this stage), and that procman should only
optionally depend on it, if at all. Sorry.

In other words, nothing will be done - yet again. What's wrong with using libgnomesu now so users at least have something that works better than the current procman password dialog, and then replacing libgnomesu with something better, when that "something better" has actually been written?