Next Generation Themeing (was Re: Exciting GNOME?)

Samuel Abels wrote:
On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 00:32 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="Seth Nickell">

In the bluecurve department, ClearLook
(http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=19527), which I just found
through this thread, looks like a hands-down improvement.

Then I guess I am pretty alone when I don't feel that this is an
improvement?

Its an improvement over bluecurve but not a quantum leap in themes. All the Gnome themes I have seen lack sex appeal and reinforce the view that its all very bland (which is okay for a corporate desktop but boring to everyone else).

I do hope we can look forward to being innovative themewise rather than just playing catchup all the time. I would guess MS will probably enable XAML to include shading and lighting objects via Avalon (maybe even embedding shading lanuguages within XAML?) so I expect Longhorn to look very very pretty and possibly photorealistic.

It would be nice if we could beat MS here and be the first out of the door with more photorealistic themes.

jamie.