Re: moving windows above the top panel

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 23:55 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > it can be resized, not all widgets will be visible (or, in the case of Qt,
> > it will show some Really Ugly (TM) scrolling bars or scrolling arrows). This
> > is hardly a solution. The real problem here is the fact that the developers
> > don't know how to write good-looking  and practical apps. A window manager
> > can and only should do so much.
>
> The window manager always wins. It is definitive. The rest is the
> applications fault 8)

Metacity is a lot less fascist today than it was when I first wrote it;
too much stuff breaks if you take too hard a line, unfortunately. The X
design also messed up one important thing: the WM doesn't get to
intercept and override SetInputFocus.

The "clamp to screen size as long as it's above min size" hack you lobby
for should be trivial and break nothing, though, while fixing most apps.
There aren't many windows with a minimum size exceeding the screen size,
and most of them are unusable with small screens anyhow.

Havoc