Re: [Fwd: Nautilus]

Shane,

Op Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:48:25 +0000, schreef Shane O'Connor:

> this is gonna be the biggest seller for Gnome.

> ...if we want to get people to shift from Windoze...

It irks me every time people talk about selling GNOME or using GNOME to
get people to shift from some other platform. [1]

* That is not what GNOME is about *

GNOME is about making good, Free software. Not about sales targets, not
about competing with Microsoft. If Linux/UNIX distributors want to use
GNOME as a part of their commercial strategy, then that's great, they are
after all free to do so and I applaud this. But if we let our design
decisions be heavily influenced by such motives, I believe we'd be giving
up on our ideals. And the trolls saying that GNOME has been hijacked by
corporate types will be right after all.

[1] Also, have you considered the people who have never used a computer
before?

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen