Re: [Fwd: Nautilus]

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 12:45 +0000, Shane O'Connor wrote:
> Sorry, I originally posted this to the wrong list ;)

This is still the wrong list, this isn't really a development issue.

> > I recently started looking at gnome2.12 builds (moving on to 2.13 now)
> > and I just can't get my head around the default view for Nautilus - the
> > spatial view (a new window for each folder opened) is sooooo annoying ;)
> > I know most seasoned linux/unix users will use a terminal to navigate
> > between dirs but for novice users who are more used to point and click I
> > would have thought this default behaviour would be really annoying - it
> > really makes the desktop look messy and is a real pain to have to close
> > all those windows you don't want.....
> >
> > Any particular reason why this is the default behaviour vs the broswer
> > mode?

In short, because it is better. It takes some time, but once you get
used to it, and learn the easily discoverable keystrokes (like
Shift-Enter or middle click) you'll find it very easy to navigate. The
features of the spatial windows, like remembering their position on the
screen, and remembering how far down you scrolled are useful, usable and
powerful.

Once you go spatial, you'll never look back.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA