Re: Using python + pygtk in Desktop modules (was Re: Revisitingthe Gnome Bindings)

Hi,

 This reminds me, what should language bindings do about the egg
module? Do we wrap it or not? Do we copy-paste the C code into the
language bindings or not?  This puzzles me...

If the language can not easily use C code directly from applications, then
you have to wrap it. Because libegg is not a shared library, you have to
copy-paste the C code and statically link to that. There's no other way
that I can think of.

But I'd much prefer to see the effort go into moving the libegg parts into
a GTK+ or GNOME library. If it's being used widely then it's probably
almost ready for that.

Hmm, I think it would be a very bad idea to copy and paste libegg into the python bindings and then wrap them. Since that would then be part of the python platform which we have to guarantee API stability for. That would give the python binded version a "stability guarantee" that was never intended for libegg.

Ie. it would make libegg be part of the platform API which it's not, or did I misunderstood what you meant here?

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio HB, http://www.imendio.com/