Re: the future of GNOME Applets

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 11:26 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

> > > Of 300 users I am dealing with on a a daily basis, virtually none was
> > > able to figure that out. We didn't have that problem when we were using
> > > the applet.
> >
> > Out of interest, does having the volumes on the desktop help at all?
> > gnome-volume-manager will automagically mount your CD, then you can
> > unmount it via the desktop (sure, my Eject doesn't actually eject
> > anymore, but that's a different issue).
>
> I believe this assumes that all applications are using the
> gtkfilechooser. We are using Mathematica, so users typically open the
> files by clicking on them in the nautilus window. When they insert a
> cdrom or floppy they are looking on the desktop for an icon for that
> disk.

With the HAL integration into GNOME-VFS and the option MacOSX mode. It
will only display volumes that are mounted in computer:// (it should
also display volumes that aren't automountable, like Legacy Floppy, but
last I checked it didn't). Perhaps then the volumes available through
GNOME-VFS should be put on the desktop at all times (unless you have the
appropriate gconf get set of course). So you can double click on floppy
at any time, but can only double click on CD-ROM when one has been
inserted. This is a very MacOSX way of doing it. But I feel it makes the
entire concept of media more handleable. (I'm not sure if this is the
way the GNOME-VFS/Nautilus/HAL people intend to implement it, it's just
my thoughts on the matter).

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA