Re: the future of GNOME Applets

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:03, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 08:24 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> >
> > I would agree with getting rid of the computer:/// URI. That is
> > completely unintuitive. The disk mounter applet is much more useful and
> > if it is considered ugly (I would disagree here) then maybe it should be
> > beautified.
> > >

> The mount applets are really bad in my opinion.  The only point where
> unmount is unfortunately necessary these days is removable drives but
> even there you are never going to have a static device node to give to
> the mount applet.

I have never found that to be a issue on our production machines.

>   Legacy floppy is another exception but any program
> that makes use of the file picker will mount the drive when you navigate
> to it.  And you can mount/unmount from computer:///.

Of 300 users I am dealing with on a a daily basis, virtually none was
able to figure that out. We didn't have that problem when we were using
the applet.

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences