Re: the future of GNOME Applets

Merhaba,

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 21:12 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> Disk Mounter
> 	This applet looks ugly, has a confusing interface and looks like
> 	a bad GNOME2 port of a GNOME1 applet. Completely unmaintained.
> 	Almost everything it does has been replaced by g-v-m or
> 	computer://. Plus it doesn't work on Solaris. It would have to
> 	be completely rewritten to use gnome-volume-manager, although
> 	I'm not sure how useful it would be. I propose stopping it from
> 	compiling by default but not removing the code.

In favor of the computer:/// URI, this is not really useful for me. Can
be removed, IMHO.

> Modem Lights
> 	I'm sure this could be replaced by Network Monitor in the
> 	future. What do people think should happen with this one?

That little graph showing the connection history is good, I wish gnome-
netstatus had this one too :) Because there's nothing else useful for a
dial-up connection.

> Wireless Link Monitor
> 	This has been completely superseeded by gnome-netstatus, plus
> 	hopefully gnome-netstatus is going to get some serious HAL lovin
> 	in the near future making it even more useful. FC is turning off
> 	this applet in their packages, I would like to turn it off by
> 	default here too.

Full-ack.

> What do people think of these plans? It has been commented there are too
> many applets currently. However the applets are one of the most used
> parts of the desktop. We don't want to ship second rate applets, but I
> really want other people's opinions.

You're doing a real good job. Keep it up!
--
Enver ALTIN                   |        http://skyblue.gen.tr/
Software developer @ Parkyeri |      http://www.parkyeri.com/