Re: the future of GNOME Applets

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 10:08, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> I happen to be in complete agreeance with J5...
>
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:44 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
>
> > Of 300 users I am dealing with on a a daily basis, virtually none was
> > able to figure that out. We didn't have that problem when we were using
> > the applet.
>
> Out of interest, does having the volumes on the desktop help at all?
> gnome-volume-manager will automagically mount your CD, then you can
> unmount it via the desktop (sure, my Eject doesn't actually eject
> anymore, but that's a different issue).

I believe this assumes that all applications are using the
gtkfilechooser. We are using Mathematica, so users typically open the
files by clicking on them in the nautilus window. When they insert a
cdrom or floppy they are looking on the desktop for an icon for that
disk.

> I think this allows more a much less broken design then the diskmount
> applet. The only situation this doesn't cover is the floppy drive, but
> people have to navigate to the floppy drive to use it anyway (unless
> they have some newfangled usb floppy drive that sends them media
> insertion events).
>
> If we were to rewrite the diskmount applet (I don't want to). I think it
> would be best to use gnome-vfs-volume-monitor to handle
> mounting/unmounting/displaying/etc. the same way as it's handled in
> computer:// and on the Desktop. Another big thing would be using the
> theme's icons for the devices (I think the icons it uses now came from
> October GNOME, it wouldn't surprise me).

That may be a good idea.

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow taliesin ca>
Taliesin