Re: MIME interface suggestions

A Qui, 2004-09-02 às 19:31, Alan Cox escreveu:
> On Iau, 2004-09-02 at 17:59, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> > Back in the Eazel days, Nautilus had a concept of "user levels" where
> > one could change user levels to advanced, neophyte etc etc.
>
> And everyone confident is "advanced" and everyone nervous is
> "neophyte" and/or insulted. Palm seems somehow to have captured the
> notion of exploration - as you explore an app you find features but it
> never forces them on you.
>

> > Perhaps, we
> > could use that idea as  way to add things to the context menu.  I mean
> > if people want lots of stuff in their context menu who are we to stand
> > in their way?  But at least wtih user levels we could still target our
> > main audience.
>
> Why do you need "user levels". Providing the user adds stuff to their
> context menu thent they ought to be allowed to do so. The problem is if
> the applications, the install and the like suddenely give a user 30
> options they didn't want.

  I totally agree with this.  User levels suck.

  But all installed applications should appear in the context menu for a
given type by default, like in gnome 2.8, but the user should be able to
remove some applications from the menu, if he wants.

  The old nautilus context menu wasn't good either, because by default
applications wouldn't show up in the menu.  Many times I was surprised
to see the "Open with..." dialog reveal some choices I was not even
aware of.  They should be there in the menu in plain sight by default,
and the user should selectively disable the ones he doesn't need or
like.

  Anyway, all this is too late for gnome 2.8.  I just hope that by 2.10
this gets further refined.  But we're slowly getting there.  Cheers to
nautilus developers! :-)

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic