Re: MIME interface suggestions

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

> A Qua, 2004-09-01 às 15:39, Jerry Haltom escreveu:
> > I believe the thought process goes like this:
> >
> > If the application the user wants to use is not listed in the menu, then
> > that application does not have a .desktop file, or it is misconfigured.
> > In which cases, it wouldn't appear in your application list dialog either.
> >

> > I do however see a point. We have examples like ghex, which should
> > probably not be configured to open application/octect-stream, even though
> > technically they can. It would just be menu cruft. But the user might want
> > to open a specific file with them... so it would be good if it was in the
> > list.
> >

> > Actually the more I think about this, I think ghex SHOULD be configured to
> > handle application/octect-stream, but also be marked "NotInOpenMenu".
> > Which is something we don't yet have.
>
>   Now that's silly.  ghex should appear in the menu for _any_ file,
> because every file type is a subtype of application/octet-stream.  If
> you don't like that, uninstall ghex and the menu entry goes away.  It's
> as simple as that.

This is just bullshit. You don't always have root access on the box you
work on. Think pc-rooms in a university. Someone from the cs departement
may need ghex, while someone from the linguistic departement may not
need it at all.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."