Re: MIME interface suggestions

A Qua, 2004-09-01 às 19:57, Chipzz escreveu:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>
> > A Qua, 2004-09-01 às 15:39, Jerry Haltom escreveu:
> > > I believe the thought process goes like this:
> > >
> > > If the application the user wants to use is not listed in the menu, then
> > > that application does not have a .desktop file, or it is misconfigured.
> > > In which cases, it wouldn't appear in your application list dialog either.
> > >

> > > I do however see a point. We have examples like ghex, which should
> > > probably not be configured to open application/octect-stream, even though
> > > technically they can. It would just be menu cruft. But the user might want
> > > to open a specific file with them... so it would be good if it was in the
> > > list.
> > >

> > > Actually the more I think about this, I think ghex SHOULD be configured to
> > > handle application/octect-stream, but also be marked "NotInOpenMenu".
> > > Which is something we don't yet have.
> >
> >   Now that's silly.  ghex should appear in the menu for _any_ file,
> > because every file type is a subtype of application/octet-stream.  If
> > you don't like that, uninstall ghex and the menu entry goes away.  It's
> > as simple as that.
>
> This is just bullshit. You don't always have root access on the box you
> work on. Think pc-rooms in a university. Someone from the cs departement
> may need ghex, while someone from the linguistic departement may not
> need it at all.

  The alternative being suggesting is to remove ghex from the menu even
if it is installed, regardless of user type.  Now, which is worse: a
menu entry appearing for users that don't need it, or the menu entry not
appearing for users that need it?

  Sure I understand your idea, ghex users are advanced users, and
advanced users can use the command line.  However, I think advanced
users should be able to invoke ghex from nautilus context menu too.
Let's not exaggerate in our quest for UI simplicity, or we might
alienate some users.

  Now, a dialog to select which applications appear in the context menu,
like we used to have, would be nice.  It would be basically to just add
a toggle column to the MIME tab in the file properties...

  Regards.

--
Gustavo João Alves Marques Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.