Re: Polypaudio action plan

Hi,

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 12:25 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > and GStreamer is
> > a great big hulking multimedia subsystem... which is great for what it does,
> > but Gnumeric, Calculator and Terminal don't need a multimedia subsystem. :)
>
> They don't need to use the full power of its API, sure.  But there is
> libgstplay which is pretty simple.  As for linking - I don't see any
> really major concern here.  It's highly likely that some other process
> has GStreamer mapped in anyways (e.g. volume control), and so the hit
> from other applications linking to it is minimal on sensible systems.
> We have much bigger optimization problems to tackle, like the icon theme
> caching stuff.

Since one of the main goals of the 2.10 release is to slim down
in memory use and processor use, shouldn't a decision like this
depend (at least in part) on the cost of the solution chosen?
Will making libgnome use gstreamer make the platform bigger in
memory? Will it affect performance desktop-wide?

Keeping a core library as small as possible, with as few
dependencies as possible, and making sure each of those
dependencies is, in turn, as small as possible, seems like a good
goal to me.

Perhaps gstreamer doesn't give any hit at all, but it seems to me
like it should be a consideration.

Cheers,
Dave.

--