Re: Polypaudio action plan

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 12:25 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Colin Walters">
>
> > > Why have every app linking to a complete multimedia subsystem, just to
> > > make ding sounds?
> >
> > Because it lets us avoid coding to a specific, nonportable API.
>
> "us" being application developers (who use libgnome [1]), or libgnome
> itself?

Both.

> Remember that ALSA is a specific, nonportable API,

Nowhere was I suggesting GNOME use ALSA directly either.

> and GStreamer is
> a great big hulking multimedia subsystem... which is great for what it does,
> but Gnumeric, Calculator and Terminal don't need a multimedia subsystem. :)

They don't need to use the full power of its API, sure.  But there is
libgstplay which is pretty simple.  As for linking - I don't see any
really major concern here.  It's highly likely that some other process
has GStreamer mapped in anyways (e.g. volume control), and so the hit
from other applications linking to it is minimal on sensible systems.
We have much bigger optimization problems to tackle, like the icon theme
caching stuff.