Re: Browsing deep hierarchies in spatial mode

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:54:03 -0800, Gabriel Bauman <gabe bravenet com> wrote:
> Think of this idea as the natural counterpart to the pop-up menu at the
> bottom-left corner of every spatial nautilus window - it just goes in
> the other direction.

Not exactly. The bottom-left pop-up tells you how you got there, not
where you are. This doesn't differ too much in the current situation,
but _when_ someone gets around to create some fancy queryable folders
(folder is a result of a search, like "all my pdf:s concerning project
x"), this will be quite different from the actual path to the file (if
any).

> Since that menu is considered acceptable in our
> current model, then the "it's not spatial enough" argument I'm seeing in
> the thread really doesn't count for much.

That menu doesn't really eat space from anything, but the context menu
is pretty long already. Careful consideration should take place before
complicating menus (HIG), and if it's to save 2 or 3 clicks (well, 4
or 6 if double-clicking) as you state, well... I wouldn't.

As a side note, you would lose the type-to-search ability for finding
the right folder, which doesn't sound like optimizing to me.

> The only way you'd likely find yourself with a billion menus filling
> your screen would be if you browsed into 'Computer->Filesystem" using
> the context menu. I am guessing that could be disabled pretty easily.

My impression was that the main target for this _was_ the root... :)

Nobody has deep hierarchies in their home folder, right ?-)

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi