Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 11:32 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> [snip]
> > Current consensus points
> > towards going with GStreamer as their default.
>
> Have the really got over their glib fear?

They want/need a multimedia system, and that need is a stronger
pragmatic need than dislike of glib. But the fact that gstreamer is
c/glib and not C++ is one of the major reasons I guess to why they
decided on the system of having a small playback API with
interchangeable backends instead of just saying 'ok we go with GStreamer
as our multimedia system'. The fact that arts use glib today is also a
major factor in making it a non-issue.

> > Choosing a default
> > soundserver could also be part of that too, even if GStreamer allows
> > them to be agnostic.
> [snip]
>
> So, we still need to talk to them if we want to have the same default
> sound server.

Yes, and I am doing that. Not sure we will get a real answer though. In
the sense that they haven't really decided themselves and they might
very well decide that it is a non-issue due to the media framework, in a
similar way to this discussion here has people suggesting that.

Christian