Re: Browser Bookmarks Menu (Gnome Applet) 0.2

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 21:01 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:
>
> > I'm not so into that idea.  If people want the bookmarks from previously
> > used browsers then they can and should migrate them.  I think you would
>
> This doesn't fly when people use multiple browsers alongside (but true,
> this isn't a very common scenario). Regardless of that, having to
> manually migrate bookmarks is placing a unnecessary burden on the user.
> Why not let the computer do the sensible thing and have it Just Work?

I do indeed use three browsers for three different tasks - Epiphany for
general browsing, Firefox for development, and Opera for testing of
development.  Yes, I boomarks in all.  However, I *do not* want the
bookmarks from Firefox or Opera in any main bookmark menu - i just want
general browsing stuff there.

If you do aggregate bookmarks, make sure that:
1) users can remove/edit/hide bookmarks without having to launch the
browser.
2) let users block out certain browsers.
3) when a bookmark is clicked, open the browser it was imported from, as
there's probably a reason the bookmark is only in one of the browsers.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.