Re: Proposing module: PyGTK

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 16:54 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > Why is it necessary to add this to the developer platform? I see no
> > problem with the Desktop depending on some things in the Bindings
> > platform. And we have already established, on this list, that there is
> > an overwhelming consensus that Desktop modules should be allowed to use
> > pygtk if their maintainers want to.
>
> I'm guessing it is a further stamp of approval and something that people
> who don't read the lists in detail feel like they have the go ahead to
> use python in their core gnome apps.

GNOME maintainers should be reading this list, and I think that the
people who wanted to use pygtk know very well that it is now OK to do
that.

If you want to make it clearer, then send emails, blog it, post on
gnomedesktop, mention it on the release-team pages. Please don't misuse
the release-sets.

>   I for one wasn't sure if the
> proposal was still being discussed or if there was a conclusion.  The
> python in gnome core discussion has been going on for years now so the
> last batch of mails didn't strike me as making things official.  But if
> as you say it finally is official

Nothing is every official, but I've rarely seen anything so much like a
clear consensus:
- Several of the maintainers and developers said that they wanted it.
- There was only one technical (not political) objection, and that was
resolved.

This is yet another opportunity to see whether there are objections. I
don't think there will be any, because this is not the great what-
language-for-platform-APIs question. It's just a question of letting
maintainers use an extra library and language in their Desktop apps.
Maintainers usually get what they want in GNOME.

>  I would guess some sort of statement
> on gnome.org would be just as good as adding it to the gnome platform
> proper.

I think so.

--
Murray Cumming