Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

 --- Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> - Using the module "combine" you can combine several sound cards into
>   one for simultaneous playback (including sample rate adjustment)
> - arbitrary sample types (more than two channels, arbitrary sample
>   rates)

Thats all nice but what matter are:

    * what happens if the rate is not the same as supported by the
      soundcard, as in how (un)sensible is resampling
and
    * what happens when two applications try to send data to the same soundcard
      - say an alert sound while some background music is playing, as in how
      (un)sensible is the mixing
and
    * how (badly) does it work on *BSD and Solaris right now, as in "how much
      extra work for porters".

if we are going to replace esd these two are IMHO the key things to look at.
All the rest is for the most part on the "extra fluff" side of things (and
get completely drowned out in the happy shouting of "no more esd")

> Lennart
> --
> name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
> mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }
> www { http://0pointer.de/lennart/ } icq# { 11060553 }

=====
Open Source - the religion of doing it right