Proposing module: PyGTK

Hello,

As the PyGTK herder[1] I'd like to propose it for inclusion in developer
platform or desktop platform. However I think it makes more sense in the
developer platform at this point since it's not yet used by any
applications in the desktop release.

Project homepage: http://www.pygtk.org/

Documentation is good, we have a reference manual[2] covering for
everything but libglade, a FAQ[3] larger than the GTK+ one and an
excellent tutorial[4].

PyGTK does not currently bind anything from GTK+ 2.5.x, but since it
seems to be only minor API additions (compared to 2.4) it's shouldn't be
too difficult to add before 2.10.

The main point of proposing PyGTK to be included in the developer
platform (or perhaps the desktop if people find it more acceptable) is
simply to allow people to chose another language to develop applications
than C and make it "officially" supported by the community.

Please note, this is *NOT* a good time to discuss:
a) Python sucks. The foo Language, which does X, Y and Z is superior.
b) Rewrite GNOME in Python, which is obviously not going to happen,
Python is meant to be an alternative to C, not replacing it.

Before posting, please consider reading the old thread(s) from a couple
of weeks ago [5]

[1] some people might call me 'maintainer'.
[2] http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2reference/
[3] http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/
[4] http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2tutorial/
[5] http://lists.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-
September/thread.html#00298 and http://lists.gnome.org/archives/desktop-
devel-list/2004-September/thread.html#00563

--
Johan Dahlin <johan gnome org>