Re: Proposing module: PyGTK

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 21:20 +0100, Johan Dahlin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As the PyGTK herder[1] I'd like to propose it for inclusion in developer
> platform or desktop platform. However I think it makes more sense in the
> developer platform at this point since it's not yet used by any
> applications in the desktop release.

> Project homepage: http://www.pygtk.org/
>
> Documentation is good, we have a reference manual[2] covering for
> everything but libglade, a FAQ[3] larger than the GTK+ one and an
> excellent tutorial[4].
>
> PyGTK does not currently bind anything from GTK+ 2.5.x, but since it
> seems to be only minor API additions (compared to 2.4) it's shouldn't be
> too difficult to add before 2.10.
>
> The main point of proposing PyGTK to be included in the developer
> platform (or perhaps the desktop if people find it more acceptable) is
> simply to allow people to chose another language to develop applications
> than C and make it "officially" supported by the community.

Why is it necessary to add this to the developer platform? I see no
problem with the Desktop depending on some things in the Bindings
platform. And we have already established, on this list, that there is
an overwhelming consensus that Desktop modules should be allowed to use
pygtk if their maintainers want to.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com