Re: gscreensaver :: a bit of a mockup

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 01:52, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Davyd Madeley">
>
> > I get the feeling I'm treading on eggshells here, but I was encouraged to
> > post something I did the other week.
> >
> > http://www.livejournal.com/users/davyd/100870.html
> >
> > There is a mockup of my sample lock screen dialog available (yes it's in
> > Python, "it's only a model")
>
> Cool, <phb>great to see some forward motion on this issue</phb>. ;-) I'll
> forward you some stuff jwz mailed last time this came up, might be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jeff

Maybe I'm on crack, but what I'd really like to see is GDM take
responsibility for "display management" in general, and it seems like
the screensaver falls into this category.  At the moment, there are a
couple of issues preventing "fast user switching" (for lack of a better
term) from working properly and the lack of integration between the
screensaver and GDM is one of them.  Again, maybe I'm on crack, but the
"ideal" I see is to be able to start GDM very early in the boot process
and be able to communicate with it using D-BUS to request things like
"Show Chooser" or "Show Greeter" or "Start Display :X [on vt]".  For a
number of reasons, it doesn't make sense to have any screensaver showing
on any display which isn't actually visible.  It centralizes user
authentication in one area and makes it possible to say, start another
log in when someone sits down at a display that someone else forgot (or
didn't want) to log out from.

Not to discourage you, any GNOME-ification in xscreensaver is welcome...
--
Shahms King <shahms shahms com>