Re: Alternative licenses for artwork

Forwarding to the list...
/jp
----- Forwarded message from jens persson <587926 persson cx> -----

From: jens persson <587926 persson cx>
To: Callum McKenzie <callum physics otago ac nz>
Subject: Re: Alternative licenses for artwork
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:21:05 +0200

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 03:20:09PM +1200, Callum McKenzie wrote:
> I have some art-work for gnome-games (specifically the new SVG graphics
> for gnibbles) that the author would like to license under the Creative
> Commons Attribution License. On the face of it I can't see any problem
> with putting this in a GPLed package, but not being a licensing guru I
> thought I had better check if there were any potential pit-falls or any
> objections.
<snip>
> The license in question can be found at:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/
> or, for the long version:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/legalcode

Hello!

I would suggest a double licence (ie. GPL or cc-by) since the cc-by
licence seems to be incompatible with GPL [1]. Debian also considers
the cc-by to be non-free [2] so using it could make debian stop distributing
gnome-games.

IANAL (but ALODL[3])
/jp

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/debian-legal-200403/msg00268.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/debian-legal-200404/msg00031.html
[3] A Lurker On Debian-Legal

----- End forwarded message -----

--
 jens persson         #                         Bilbo's first law:
 <jens persson cx>    #      You cannot count friends that are all