Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 15:11, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 06:29, jamie wrote:
> >
> > An open source high performance JVM is years away so you would have to
> > wait for Gnome 4 or Gnome 5 for this option unless someone can persuade
> > SUN to let go of its "precious" or alternatively get them to donate code
> > for JITs and other missing bits. Running a JVM without such JITs as a
> > short term solution is not a good idea (would be lot slower than
> > python).
>
> That's certainly not the case. We have IKVM, gcj, and Jikes among others
> and open source Java is perfectly usable.

At various levels, yes, but there is no current open source java + JVM
that is close to complete. Classpath will require more time to complete,
GCJ does not fully use ClassPath yet and AFAIK none of them can run
Eclipse in its entirety. It may be usable or a partly implemented java
might be usable, yes, but its a far cry from a high performance version
that a desktop solution would require - my estimate is several years
away based on the current slow pace of development.

jamie.