Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 09:27, jamie wrote:

> At various levels, yes, but there is no current open source java + JVM
> that is close to complete. Classpath will require more time to complete,

Open source Java is certainly as complete as ECMA core of .NET. The
missing bits are all the add-on libs. Remember, the legally-safe Mono
(even with letter from Microsoft) does not include the interesting class
libraries! We're using Classpath with Mono too if we adopt Mono, not the
.NET APIs.

Though granted this is too complex for people to get, people will use
the .NET APIs anyway despite legal problems, and that's exactly the fear
and danger.

> GCJ does not fully use ClassPath yet and AFAIK none of them can run
> Eclipse in its entirety.

Red Hat ships Eclipse compiled with gcj and it works fine.

Havoc