Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 11:54, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> There seem to be three models:
>
> (1) C/C++/Python
>
> - no known legal issues
>
> (2) JVM
>
> - legal situation unclear
>
> (3) Mono
>
> - legal situation unclear
>
> As it stands, if we have to decide now, we have no other choice than
> (1).

yes the proposal by Havoc for 2.8 was C and Python with GObject getting
enough type information for full introspection. I think most people
agree this is desirable and if no one objects then we should go forward
with this as a short term solution.

For Gnome 3, the options increase to having C and Mono (with the Python
in 2.8 running on Mono).

An open source high performance JVM is years away so you would have to
wait for Gnome 4 or Gnome 5 for this option unless someone can persuade
SUN to let go of its "precious" or alternatively get them to donate code
for JITs and other missing bits. Running a JVM without such JITs as a
short term solution is not a good idea (would be lot slower than
python).

jamie.