Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 05:54, Markus Bertheau wrote:

> (2) JVM
>
> - legal situation unclear

There's one clarity on the legal situation here, which is that most
companies are already shipping at least one JVM with their products.
This means that their lawyers are sufficiently OK with it.

> So if we end up having a choice, we (the community) should base it on
> technical arguments, not political. And I would like to ask companys to
> refrain from trying to force their (politically motivated) opinion on
> the community. Note that I'm not saying that any one company does that
> at present.

I think this misunderstands the situation. Companies aren't going to try
to force anything on us or for that matter talk to us at all; in fact
many of them probably are unaware of this debate and would not
participate if they were.

What will happen if they have a problem with Mono is that they just
won't use GNOME or provide it to their customers. If this happens, we
aren't going to get a public statement or discussion or warning, we're
just going to get ignored.

It's up to us whether we want to factor that into the discussion. But I
certainly intend to because my goal is wide adoption of an open source
desktop.

Havoc