Re: Enable voting on Bugzilla?

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 00:44, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> I don't want to get into it too much, because I sense minds are
> basically made up, and I see already the big brush off coming my way;
> but I just don't see how voting is harmful.

What I would say is that it gives wrong expectations to people:
 - that this is a democracy rather than meritocracy
 - that the developers are working at their command rather
   than as volunteers
 - that votes from the geek community are the most important issue
   in designing and developing the desktop

But Luis also raised an important historical point, which is the
high-vote bugs have generally been posted to some news site with someone
saying "pile on this bug!!!!" and distorting the results badly. Same
basic issue as web polls.

No faster way to get a bug to /dev/null than the "message board pile-on"

Sorry to not point to a specific link in the archives, I don't remember
in any detail when it was discussed, I just know it has been a couple of
times. I'd have to search for it same as you.

Havoc