Re: Enable voting on Bugzilla?

I don't want to get into it too much, because I sense minds are
basically made up, and I see already the big brush off coming my way;
but I just don't see how voting is harmful.

Sure there is a lot features that are "popular" but are counter
productive for many reasons, but like I said, developers are not bound
by votes in any way. But in the case of actual bugs, I fail to see how a
bug can be popular without affecting a lot of people, and thus being
important to at least address.

Stuffing voting boxes, if you read the link I provided to the bugzilla
docs, is a mitigable problem since voters are required to be registered
in bugzilla, and are given a limited amount of votes.

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 00:07 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> I don't really want to go into it in depth, but basically voting in
> bugzillas is nothing but a way for people to whine about their favorite
> bugs in blogs, or on /., or on whatever other forum, and get people to
> stuff the 'voting box.' Votes end up having no bearing on actual bug
> validity, importance, or severity. If you need your bug marked up, argue
> persuasively in the bug that the bug has a serious user impact, or
> provide a patch. That's it.

Its probably just late, but that last line ends up sounding a little
elitist; bug severity is a factor independent of knowledge of either C
or English. I'm sure that you have lots of respect for the community at
large, but there are ways of making your point and sounding inclusive at
the same time.

You may be getting paid to be here, but the only reason I'm here is
because I like the feeling of community, and that the things I do make a
difference in some small way. All I'm asking is to give the "little
people" a bigger piece of the pie, even if its only symbolic.

> Luis

Cheers,
Ryan