Re: Extent of localisation customisation

On Sad, 2004-06-12 at 16:15, Danilo Segan wrote:
> - we don't know which locale contains the desired format (i.e. on
>   some system, en_US might use mm/dd/yy, yet on other mm/dd/yyyy)

They should be constant. The formats for each nation are generally
proscribed by formal documentation for that country (or by POSIX in
the case of "C" locale)

> - we don't know even if we have locales with all the needed formats
>   on all supported systems (it's not uncommon to have systems with
>   only C/POSIX and single other locale installed)

Attempting to use the locale selection will fail (X already does this if
you try and I think gtk spews warnings for it so it knows)

> (Of course, note that these three are not enough for all Gnome users;
> some would expect other delimiters such as "." instead of "/", so
> you'd need to find fairly stable 10-or-so locales on every supported
> system; or simply go for GNU libc as The Platform, like I suggested
> earlier.)

GNU libc is not the base libc for large numbers of Gnome using
platforms.