Re: Extent of localisation customisation

On Sad, 2004-06-12 at 00:57, Danilo Segan wrote:
> I'm obviously missing something -- this started with a discussion on
> how to get things like customized date and time, currency or numeric
> formats *per user*.
>
> How do I use LC_* variables to tell my system that I want my numbers
> to be output as "1!234;00"?  Those are the options user expect: we
> cannot expect users to know that their preferred number format is
> what is used in Ireland.  Or can we?

I was anticipating a pull down of the standard formats people would
be using not arbitary reformatting. The latter doesn't actually work
out with or without locale because programs make assumptions about
printf/sscanf etc.

Providing we are offering pull downs of the common formats the user
should be happy (unless they are very weird or we missed a format and
need to add it). Asking the user to select between
mm/dd/yy yyyy/mm/dd dd/mm/yy is the level I mean here