Re: Lock'n'load! [Was: Integrating system tools in GNOME]

El mié, 09-06-2004 a las 16:44, Sergey V. Udaltsov escribió:
> > That GST is unable to configure eXceed X server does not mean users
> > cannot use gnome, it just means they'll probably get an "Unsupported =)"
> > dialog box if they try to use the X GST tool.  Other users which will
> > get that kind of messagebox would be remote terminal users, evidently.
> > Unless they give the root password perhaps.
> Well, even with local X server - root password is a must for system-wide
> settings IMNSHO.

yes. true. =)

> > > BTW, we should still remember about these poor people who do not have
> > > xkb at all in their X servers - or, which is worse, have it broken. The
> > > solution should be scalable to these situations as well.
> > ... ?
> Will they get this "unsupported" bark as well?

| Sorry!                               | X |
| !!!  Settings for this display cannot be |
| !!!  changed                             |
| The display you are using is networked.  |
| Please contact your system administrator |
| for more information.                    |

(this dialog with Added HIGifiedness (C))

as you can see, it's not an unsupported message but one that should
explain the situation a bit more for users who might try to run this app
from networked X displays.  Alternatively, this dialog box could say:

--------------------
Warning!

You are about to change display settings for the server.

You are on a networked display. Settings for your current display cannot
be changed remotely.  If this is what you want, press Continue.

[Cancel]              [Continue]
--------------------

Oh, and the gnome system tool which might change input settings
(keyboard, mouse, xkb) in XF86 configs should present exactly the same
warnings.

Or, (this is perhaps a pipe dream), the GST could actually change the X
server configuration from the appropriate display, provided it's an LTSP
one and GST can find the right XF86config file.

well, I'm dreaming.

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net