Re: PROPOSAL : Integrating system tools in GNOME

Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Sean Middleditch">

Red Hat has no interest in switching to YaST, SuSE doesn't want
system-config-*, GNOME doesn't plan on including either, and so on.

Whoa, hey, hold on - "GNOME hasn't shipped it (officially) to date" is
more correct. Certainly there is enough interest in shipping it, but for
various reasons (including distro buy-in), we haven't.

Thus, we don't have a plan to ship it, yes?  ;-)  [which "it" were you
refering to, anyways?  YaST or Fedora's tools?]

Thought you meant there was no intention of shipping gnome-system-tools in
general.

Oh, no, I wasn't refering to that. My point was that each vendor (GNOME included) has its own config tool system and none have any intention of adopting one of the others'. The market for GST is currently mostly systems that have no "native" config tools. In time the other distros might adopt GST or merge their code with GST, but that isn't going to happen any time soon. I would personally imagine that if any "big" vendor did start using/merging GST, it would probably be Red Hat; their tools are modular (they can pick and choose which to replace) and they mostly all rather suck anyhow. ;-)

- Jeff