Re: PROPOSAL : Integrating system tools in GNOME

>> So, to fix the problem of preference/system-settings inconsistency is to
>> create a *framework* where distros/OSes can use it to *easily* port or
>> rewrite or write their tools.

>That's precisely what GNOME System Tools provides.

Then it is obviously not advertised or used correctly or its architecture
doesn't inspire the OS makers to endorse it. I have yet to see anyone except
Ximian using the framework (I think RH uses python and their own backend
thing and Mdk their own thing too using gtk-perl).

A question: let's say that distro XX decided to use the System Tools
framework. How do they place their 10 new panels on the gnome menu? Adding
subfolders isn't always the best idea IMHO, some sort of categorization
should take place and *integration* wtih the existing gnome tools... For
example, you don't want to have the gnome "proxy" applet taking space while
you already have created a full wifi/bluetooth/modem/eth0 applet and the
proxy options should be part of that new panel rather than being out there
by itself. Using some gconf/xml/whatever, the panels themselves should
"talk" with other panels, they should not just exist on their own.

Eugenia