Re: GTK+ (Was: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6)

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 19:04, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:

> I find GTK+ slower than Qt, yes, and also the overall "speed experience" is
> much worse than OSX's and XP's (especially the 2.x series).
> [...]
> (for example, when I right-click
> on galeon or abiword or *any* other heavy gtk app I can visibly see the
> popup context menu coming up and *then* populating its entries with text --
> that's just plain ugly).

What can I say. I've been reading again and again that you have this
impression for months now. Somehow I don't believe you are making things
up, and I don't doubt your impression.

OTOH: I had no experience with XP until recently, but we've switched to
it at work a few weeks ago.

Work:
Compaq P4s with 2.4 GHz, with Intel onboard graphics. 512 MB RAM
OS: XP
Rebooted daily.

Home:
Asus board, P4 with 2.4 GHz, Matrox G550. 512 MB RAM
OS: Debian woody with Gnome 2.2 from the backports (i.e., generic
optimizations) and self-compiled Gnome 2.4 (Garnome)
Uptime several weeks

I can only say that in contrast to you I can't see any difference in
drawing speed between XP and either Gnome 2.2 or 2.4. I specifically
watched out for it b/c of what you always say.
I just now tried your context menu experiment with abiword, epiphany and
galeon. My PC is currently under ~100% CPU load due to
totem-video-thumbnailer, and swapping 300 MB due to 2 X sessions for 2
users, one running G2.2 (apps: oo.org 1.1, galeon, nautilus, evolution
from G2.2, java_vm; theme lush)  one G2.4 (plus epiphany, nautilus, evo
from Garnome, gtk-gnutella; theme gorilla). I haven't logged out for
very long, so part of the mem usage reported may be from memory leaks in
development software in Garnome.

Opening the context menu in either galeon, epiphany or abiword, I see an
extremely short delay the first time I open it, which may be what you
say it is (menu populated after open), but it's much too short for me to
be sure. Could simply be a slight delay. On subsequent tries it opens
absolutely instantly, so I think it's just b/c of swapping

So all in all, I really don't know what you are talking about.

I'd like to add that we had to upgrade from 256 MB at work. It would
already swap with Win XP, Notes R6, and PowerPoint XP running. Just b/c
that's how it is, although it has nothing to do with the current
discussion