Re: Gnome/Nautilus extensions for OpenOffice.org

Hi Oliver,

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Oliver Braun wrote:

> (in fact on good old OS/2 a print menu item that did its work in the
> background without a window was kind of a "must have").

I've been a long time OS/2 user, but don't vividly recall a Print context
menu item (which is not to say it wasn't there). I *do* recall however
that the WPS has a Printer object on the desktop where one could drag
arbitrary files to, and the right program would be invoked in the
background to print it. *That* is something I'd really really like to see
in GNOME, and which - I hope - could be possible with a bit of CUPS
integration.

> dynamic content (which could be music or video as well) and there should
> be 'Edit' and 'Edit with' in the context menu, but this is a more
> radical move.

Separate Open / Edit menu items were discussed on the before, and IIRC the
consensus was that this isn't desirable (correct me if I'm wrong).

I also think that "Open for viewing" and "Open for viewing and/or editing"
is somewhat of an artificial separation that the user shouldn't be
bothered with.

> know from app names in the 'Open with' list which app is a viewer and
> which app is an editor.

Agreed, of course.

> At least we have user requests for it.

Well, how about making 'Show' the default double-click action?
After all that's what we do with audio files, we're not associating
audacity (or some other editing app, whatever) as default action.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778