Re: Gnome/Nautilus extensions for OpenOffice.org

Hello Reinout,

Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

hello Oliver,

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Oliver Braun wrote:

- additional context menu entries for OpenOffice.org file type (e.g. a
"show" entry that opens a presentation directly in full screen mode)

I am a bit concerned that when many apps start doing this, the - already
quite long - context menu will really start to overflow. I mean, OO.o
documents are also zipfiles, so perhaps File Roller will want to add some
items too.

I think the number of candidates is pretty low. Usually there are three basic actions one can take on dynamic content: edit, view and print (in fact on good old OS/2 a print menu item that did its work in the background without a window was kind of a "must have").

One could argue that 'Open' and 'Open with' should better play/show the dynamic content (which could be music or video as well) and there should be 'Edit' and 'Edit with' in the context menu, but this is a more radical move. I just don't think that the average user should have to know from app names in the 'Open with' list which app is a viewer and which app is an editor.

I would be happy to move to a more general concept for this in GNOME as soon as it is available.

And why not have a 'Print as handouts' context menu item as
well?

This should probably be just an option of a print dialog launched by a "print" menu item.

Is the added convenience of a 'Show' menu item so great that people will
prefer it over activating the document and clicking the Presentation
button? (this is what I see people do with ppt all the time.)
At least we have user requests for it.

Regards,
Oliver