Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 23:45, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Totem is a media player (sound, video, music) - Rhythmbox is a music
> management application. I think there's a pretty reasonable distinction
> here.  I would like to see Totem 'chained' to the Desktop release because it
> is already mature, is of very wide appeal (because it provides the basics of
> media playing) and very supportable. I'd like to see Rhythmbox free to grow
> and change radically.
>
> (This is a sore point. Totem isn't in the Desktop release because it uses an
> 'undesireable' library, and yet it is convincingly the best media player in
> the GNOME world. This is really disappointing.)

And there's the rub.  Right now, we don't have any multimedia to offer
users in the core desktop (save nautilus-media).  What is the ETA for
good gstreamer support in totem?  Since RB is being considered now,
could it be added for 2.6, then subsequently removed once a more
suitable, more well-rounded media player is introduced?

> > > The argument for Rhythmbox IMO is that it has an important user
> > > datastore - music files - and I think we should be pushing for a vision
> > > of one UI for accessing and searching all your data, including music,
> > > movies, photos, documents, etc. Similar to the advantages of WinFS.
> >
> > That's fine, but couldn't we also provide users something in the meantime?
>
> As stated in the original email about module selection: Not being included
> *DOESN'T* mean the application is not available to users. We will all
> continue to use Rhythmbox regardless of its inclusion in the Desktop. But it
> has far more flexibility and opportunity to change to suit users. I think
> that room is really good for Rhythmbox, and for users, and doesn't compare
> to any benefits they'd get out of RB being included in the Desktop - really,
> what does that give anyone but rules? :-)

It's really for the novice user I argue.  She may not know about RB (or
more exactly, a good music player that works well with GNOME) since it
doesn't come with the desktop.  In fact, it's not even part of the Fifth
Toe.  Though perhaps this multimedia suite you allude to would satisfy
this requirement...

Joe