Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

On 05Jan2004 03:45PM (+1100), Jeff Waugh wrote:

> As stated in the original email about module selection: Not being included
> *DOESN'T* mean the application is not available to users. We will all
> continue to use Rhythmbox regardless of its inclusion in the Desktop. But it
> has far more flexibility and opportunity to change to suit users. I think
> that room is really good for Rhythmbox, and for users, and doesn't compare
> to any benefits they'd get out of RB being included in the Desktop - really,
> what does that give anyone but rules? :-)

It is tempting to assume the concrete factors of "must follow rules"
vs. "freedom to change" are the most important. But probably the most
significant effect of being in the desktop release is the sense of a
"seal of approval". Even though downstream distributors excercise
their own editorial control, the editorial control provided by the
official Gnome release is still really valuable, both as a signal to
users and by enforcing certain quality standards in exchange for the
free publicity of being in the release.

With that in mind, it seems like a good idea to bless the types of
applications that are now expected as part of a base desktop
environment.

It seems to me that a music player (incorporating a smart music
management system) is now inside that base set of expectations.

Some people have mentioned that it would be nice to have a universal
search/browse/whatever data management system as part of the
desktop. And that's true as far as it goes, but a generic universal
system, no matter how awesome it is, will *never* be as good as a
purpose-specific system for that particular purpose. There's just no
way you can make a generic program that will handle the task of "I
want to organize my music, find some to play, and play it" as well as
a program focused on that task.

Category-specific programs for organizing your stuff are increasingly
important and increasingly popular. Providing good ones for the
appropriate types of data is in many ways more important than add
programs to check off every network protocol on some list. In fact,
web browsers and mail clients are as much purpose-specific data
management tools as networking tools.

All that being said, I have no specific opinion on Rhythmbox, having
never used it. But thinking of a music player/organizer as an optional
add-on seems deeply misguided to me.

Regards,
Maciej