Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 16:43, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> >The thing is, in the end aren't the distros going to bundle a video
> >player, music player, etc in with their own packages anyway?
>
> Yes, but not necesserily. This is why the DE should provide a coherent set
> of apps as part of its installation. For example, the Slackware developer
> doesn't wanna put FAM by default on his distro, even if Gnome really needs
> it for a better consistent and responsive experience. But because FAM is not
> part of Gnome, its dev doesn't bother, because he doesn't see the same value
> in it (I wouldn't be surprised if  he doesn't use a DE altogether).
> Compiling and installing FAM manually wound't work on Slackware either, as
> it requires the gnome-vfs to have compiled support for it (and slackware's
> doesn't have any compiled in as of 9.2-Current).
>
> >They'd be silly not to IMHO.  If I buy FooLinux (as j random user)
> >and it doesn't  include a way to play mp3s and movies,
> >I'm going to take it back and complain!
>
> Fedora and RHL don't support mp3s and proprietary movie formats, still
> though, these distros have the biggest marketshare together, because most
> people like to stick with the market leader or the brand name they recognize
> better, even if it is an additional pain for the user to add support for
> these manually.
>
> My point is, the DE should offer as a bundle everything needed by a
> currently perceived as "modern desktop". IMHO, Rhythmbox is needed, because
> the times we live in require it (and FAM should be a requirement too,
> because it really has an impact in the experience of the system ;-). These
> apps are much more important for the user experience than let's say,
> gDesktlets or monkey-bubble.

I have to agree.  Everyone here is talking about "distros."  Well, GNOME
is not just a DE for "distros."  It runs on Solaris (not a "distro"),
*BSD (not "distros"), and other UNIX-like OSes (some of which are not
Linux "distros").  If GNOME wants to be a DE that "Just Works," it needs
to be a solid bundle, offering all the applications a user expects in
their desktop, and not rely on the underlying OS to always provide the
missing bits.

Like Eugenia has said, if you look at other desktops, they do provide
music and multimedia applications out of the box (e.g. WMP, iTunes,
QuickTime).  Why should GNOME be any different?

Joe